Saturday, December 31, 2011

On the sixth day after Christmas...

We went to the New Globe Theatre complex this morning. I've seen pictures of it before but it was really cool to actually see it and walk aroung in it. They wouldn't let us go on stage but that's OK I guess... probably something about liability if someone feel off it and hurt themself... The only bad thing about being in the Globe was that they are doing some repairs to part of the roof over the stage so there was scaffolding covering up the sides of the stage. I could have spent another hour or two in the museum but Bernie said they had added alot since there were here three years ago so he hadn't scheduled enough time... I just need to head back over there to pick up a few things from the gift shop if I can, they have reprints of some of th plays in the actual origingal first folio typography!

Then we had a short walk over to St. Paul's Cathedral... Yippe! I had a blast... I only wish we were allowed to take pictures inside the church, oh well... There wasn't anything scheduled afterward so after we got there it pretty much was up to each person to decide how long they wanted to be there. We got in the building a little before 13:00 and I finished up my personal tour (I listened to every audio bit on the personal "tour guides" you could pick up and listen too as you walked around) around 4:15, had dinner at a little pizza place across the street, and then went back in to St. Paul's for the evening prayer service. I was a little bummed it was just a prayer service and not the Evensong service but seeing how it was New Year's Eve, I made my peace with it... But I might try to make it to one next week...

I finished up the night in Parliment Square where I celebrated the arrival of the New Year with hundreds of thousands complete strangers! I had a great view of The Clock Tower and could eaily hear Big Ben ring in the New Year. I shot a 10+ minute video of the countdown and the massive firework display that followed. And I'll try to post it when I get home and actually have a reliable, fast internet connection...

Well, it's the New Year here in London and I need to go to bed so I can make it through tomorrow...

1 comment: