Thursday, December 27, 2012

St. Petersburg bound...

The day started early with a little last minute shopping to take advantage of some "day after Christmas" sales. Then there was the drive to the airport (thanks dad) to catch my flight...

Arrived early (2.5 hours early) just to make sure there were not any difficulties checking in because of the international nature of my trip. So, of course, I breeze through check-in, no problems getting through TSA, and arrived at my gate within 20 minutes of being dropped off...


And that is when the delays started arriving... The winter storm hitting pretty much everything East of the Mississippi might have had something to do with that.... Silly little wintry weather snow storm. The Detroit Metro Airport handled the snow pretty well and most flights in Detroit didn't have to much trouble taking off. It was the planes coming in from other airs that were causing most of the delays...

With out going into to much detail, let's just say I am grateful that I had a six hour layover in Washington DC because my 2:30pm flight didn't get off the ground until 8pm! We debarked the plane in DC about 9:30, grabbed our carry-ons, and all took off to our various connecting flight... And I just made in to my gate with a few minutes to spare. I was out of breathe and a bit sweaty form speed walking all the way from the end of one terminal to the central hub, took the underground rail line to the next terminal, and speed walked all the way back down to the end of that terminal to the very last gate... Not fun... BUT, I made it!

One of the challenges I have when traveling long distance is that it is very hard for me to sleep in a moving vehicle, especially if I am in a sitting position. If I can lay down flat, I can usually get a few hours of sleep but I can only lightly doze for short lengths of time. Planes are a big one, I think it has to do with the cabin pressure...

All that to say that, the 7:30 hour flight through the night was as good as it could be when you can't sleep... Try to catch a few zzzs but I just couldn't get comfortable... I watched a few movies, played some card games on my iPad, and started writing this post...

Had about an hour and a half layover... Didn't seem that long though... After getting off the plane, we actually had to check in again and go through security. International flight, makes sense... Had a little time to pick up a few little Duty Free things (first time doing that), got some Rubles so I already had some when I arrived in St. Petersburg, freshened up a little (Axe body spray and quick wash of the face), and sent out a few quick messages before boarding my last flight to St. Petersburg!




About three hours later, I was checking in at my hotel in St. Petersburg! Not to much longer after I checked-in, my friend Olga arrived to whisk me off to a late dinner followed by a lovely dessert at a different restaurant. The food was hearty and the desserts were decadent! Then she dropped me off at my hotel on the banks of the Moyka River (really more of a man made canal) so I could finally get some sleep before a day of walking about tomorrow...

Now I will wrap this up as I prepare to head off to bed...



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment