Friday, December 28, 2012

Holy Day...

Today kind of felt like a Sunday... Only because much of the day was spent at church... Ok, churches... My friend Olga took me on a sight seeing adventure of the several famous churches in St. Petersburg.
From June 2010

Jacob's Ladder in an archway
The first one was just two blocks away from my hotel, The Church of the Spilled Blood (one of it's many names). I had taken numerous photos of the Church the last time I was in St. Petersburg 2.5 years ago but I didn't get in to see the insides.  Well, it looks beautiful on the outside and just a much inside. If I had the time, I could spend all day in a Church like this taking pictures... Like St. Isaac's Cathedral (1/2 mile away) all of icons are mosaics. However, where as St. Isaac's icons are individual and surrounded by marbles, plaster, or gilding  the mosaics in the Church of the Spilled Blood cover the entirety if the walls. So the entire interior wall are covered in mosaics! It is pretty awe inspiring... Oh, and if you are wondering about the name, the Church was built on the spot where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated! Well, he died in the Winter palace but the Church is where he was mortally wounded from a grenade explosion... It's an interesting story, look it up and read more about it!

Looking up into one of the domes

Nativity themed mosaics


Kazan Cathedral
Next, we went to Kazan Cathedral (a block away from the Church of the Spilled Blood). I had been inside before but it is still a great experience. This is a full functioning Orthodox Church so taking pictures is frowned upon. The first time I was here, I was new to Orthodoxy so I didn't fully appreciate the icons. In particular, this time I learned about the icon of the Theotokos on the Iconostasis called Our Lady of Kazan. It was found in the rubble and ashes after a fire had razzed a section of the city of Kazan. The Theotokos appeared to a little 9 year old girl in a dream (several times) telling her to go get the icon from the rubble. Finally they went digging and found the icon. It is now one of the most revired icons in Eastern Orthodoxy. I even had the honor of standing line line and then asking the Holy Theotokos to pray for me. It a very spiritual event!

Icon of Our Lady of Kazan


The next big one was the St. Alexander Nevsky Monastery.  Sadly, it was getting some major repairs done... Most of the nave was filled with scaffolding so most things did not look all that great. What was not covered up looked very beautiful, I will have to go back again another time to see and learn more...

Birds on a wire outside the monastery

We ventured into a few other non-Orthodox churches that we passed while we were walking.


Mikhailovsky Theatre

We capped off the night with a performance of La Boheme at the Mikhailovsky Theatre. I could go on for an hour about the models, costumes, and items they had on display in one of the lobbies but I'll spare you that... First time seeing a full opera that I hadn't worked on (so I wasn't taking pictures like the previous ones). It was a great show. I loved the set design and I plan on borrowing some ideas from it for some show in the future. I had some issues with the lighting but overall I was really impressed. I even ventured taking a picture of the closing moments (I was in the last row of the highest "circle" of seats so I didn't have anyone behind me to distract). 
Final bars of La Boheme

Tomorrow will include a bus tour of the city, the Hermitage, and a performance of Swan Lake!

1 comment:

  1. So happy you got to pray before Our Lady of Kazan! Pray for me while you are in st Petersburg my friend! Happy Nativity! :)

    ReplyDelete