Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 13...How much?

Today was a long day on my feet.  I did get to sleep in a little today, not that it helped much…I been waking up right around 6:30am every morning not matter what time I went to sleep so I usually just rollover and go back to sleep until my alarm goes off around 8ish.  Today I did that and proceed to wake up every 20-30 minutes for the next two and half hours. I finally gave up about 15 minutes before my alarm was scheduled to go off and just got out of bed.

One of the first fun parts of the day was the flea market we went to in order to check it out.  Once you made your way through the first third where all the touristy stuff is, that’s where all the good stuff was.  Our most commonly asked question was "How much?"  There was tons of painting in all sorts of styles, great handmade artisan work, and pretty much anything else you could imagine.  Instead of trying to describe the kind of stuff you could find I thought I’d just post of pictures…

Just about the whole Wayne State group went to the market.  We got there about half past 11 and Dr. Thomas was meeting the people who didn’t want to navigate the metro in their own at 2pm to go back to the dorms…Pegi, Alli, and I were there until they started closing shops up at 5pm.  BUT…I got my Russian hat, in fact, I got three hats.  I bought two, a nice little wolf fur hat and wonderfully comfortable red fox hat, and the guy just threw in a third on for no extra charge.  I probably hadn’t negotiated hard enough and he felt bad for me.

We had to be down at the theatre at 6:45 to get tickets for the show tonight so we hauled it back to the dorm and made a quick little dinner from what we had laying around in the fridge.  I made some nice little grille tomato, ham, and cheese sandwiches along with some tomato wedges to eat, Alli made a yummy chicken based noodle soup to which we added some rice, and Pegi got some fresh fruit from a little sidewalk place around the corner from the school.  It was a good dinner all around.

We saw a play called Kizhe at the MXAT’s new black box theater.  I haven’t really got a clue as to what the plot was but the visuals of the production were really amazing.  The walls were just plain old OSB plywood, the uneven, bumpy floor was made of fiberglass, and the rolling platform was painted with a smooth glossy finish.  I just really liked the way the show looked because that’s the creative direction I’m trying to head in as a designer.  The costumes started out in all hues of white but were predominately black by the end of the play.   I must see if I can find the script…

Today was something similar to Russian Independents Day, but it’s a lot less fanfare the our 4th of July celebrations.  However, there were going to be fireworks and so several of us thought we’d try out the O2 restaurant on the top of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel.  We managed to find a great seating area with on the corner of the building so we had a great view of the city but it was horribly expensive.  Our group of four had one large bottle of water, three drinks, and two orders of side dishes and it came to a grand total of 2410 rubles…that’s $75!  Oddly enough, the bottle of water was the most expensive item at 770 rubles or $24/  Now that’s what I call a view with a price… Here’s a panoramic shot about 10pm as we were waiting for the fireworks.  Just click on the picture to get the full view...

No comments:

Post a Comment